I ditched resolutions a long time ago.
Instead, I’ve been following the one-word idea whereby you choose a word or phrase that will guide your year. I’ve been doing this for five years now and have found it to be helpful in creating a mega-theme for the year.
In the past I’ve chosen: Character (2012), Self-Belief (2013), Progress (2014), Build (2015) and Focus (2016).
When I look at each of those words they take me back to the memories of that year. I think about the highs and the lows, the achievements and the setbacks. Choosing just one word has been a positive experience and whilst it continues to be I’ll keep doing it.
2016 reflection: Focus
Last year the word ‘focus‘ channelled my energy. I chose focus because I felt like most aspects of my life were a little all over the shop. I was spread too thinly. I had been building Wide Open on the side for some time but needed to focus. And alas to say, I did it! I focused enough to get Wide Open off the ground and quit my job in the process. I went all in with Wide Open and it was an important decision as it’s allowed me the space to focus.
2016 was a good year for me. It will always be remembered as the year I went from being a spectator to getting in the game and launching the business.
Onward and upward!
2017, my one word
So here we are, a new year. Friday evening I sat down with family for our One Word AGM. We reflected on last year and set sail for 2017.
And my word for 2017: BRAVE
It was a photo finish between brave and courage, but brave won the day. They are similar words, but brave seemed to fit the bill better.
So here’s what I mean by brave:
- Brave to share who I really am.
- Brave to reach out to people that make me nervous.
- Brave to share my thoughts and opinions with humility and gentleness.
- Brave to give Wide Open a red hot go.
- Brave to be more honest, authentic and emotional with Jess, my kids and close friends.
- Brave to say yes when I have a gut feeling about doing something.
- Brave to write and share my story.
- Brave to embrace my weakness as that’s where strength is found.
- Brave to say no more often.
- Brave to get healthy.
- Brave to look forward, not back.
- Brave in the quiet moments when the opportunity to choose well is difficult.
I feel like for a long time I’ve tried so hard to fit in. I’ve tried to be someone who I think people will like, instead of being the real me. That may surprise some of you, but everyone struggles to be themselves from time to time, most times though, we don’t acknowledge it.
2017 is the year where I will stand out, be brave, try things and leave nothing in the tank.
Here we go!
Do you have a word? Or theme for your year? Let me know in the comments.